Flames of Hogwarts, Ice of Durmstrang
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Roommate

2 posters

Go down

A Roommate Empty A Roommate

Post by Aria Song Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:42 pm

"Idiot" a paper was thrown to the side "Boring" another paper followed it's trail "Atrocious spelling" another "Waste of time" and another. Aria wrinkled her nose in anger as she could not find a single applicant to be her roommate. She had refused to have one, but her father had clearly told her that she needed some sort of interaction, and when she refused he made it so she could only afford half the price of the flat. Despite the fact she had told him "Who would want to live with me?" he had merely patted her head and sighed. That sigh was one of disappointment and hopelessness one that she resented more than anything.

From the hundred applicants, she could not find a single one that she could even imagine living with her. Some of them had atrocious grammar, some of the opposite sex seemed lecherous, some were druggies (and she did not need to relive that) and others could barely be able to make the rent money. There was one left, one that was in the maybe pile. She didn't want to deal with females (always so emotional), but all that was left on was applicant so she took a deep breath, knowing she was stooping low here and sent an owl, towards this woman, asking her to visit the flat so they could see the chemistry of their lifestyles.
Aria Song
Aria Song
Adult

Back to top Go down

A Roommate Empty Re: A Roommate

Post by Rhian Kael Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Rhian pulled her cloak around her and looked down at the paper again. 221B Baker Street. She looked around and found the metal numbers posted near a door. She was rather new to London, and had been lost for the better part of an hour, due to her uncle's lousy map. He'd had her running in circles,wondering if it wasn't a sign that this was a bad idea.

Placing her hand on the gate, she thought of Elena. The idea of leaving her with that man wasn't the best, but she knew he was rather fond of the little angel. And who wouldn't be. Maybe it was just something about Rhian herself that the man didn't like. But it seemed that he was just as eager to get her out of his house as she was to leave.

She opened the gate, noting with approval that it moved silently, and approached the door. With three swift knocks, she took the plunge into, what could be, either a wonderful or terrible part of her life. The chance of it all made her heart pump a little faster, but she did not let it show in her face.
Rhian Kael
Rhian Kael
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Aria Song Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:52 pm

Aria was curled up reading her book once more on herbal alternatives to magical remedies when she heard three swift knocks. No one really came around (she didn't know anybody), so it was clear that it was that woman who replied from her ad. Sighing, she slowed her book down and got up, walking barefoot on the cold floor tile, towards the door.

She opened the door and raised her brow as she saw a nervous looking woman staring back at her. Her expression was one of boredom, though she was curious. What made this one so special? Would they even get along? She highly doubted it, but she was giving her a chance because she was desperate. Forcing herself to act civil, she did what she hated most: she acted.

Her eyes shined and she let out a grin, as she took a step back, signaling her to enter.

"Please come in Ms. Kael, I've been expecting you."

Walking towards the living room, she expected her to follow, she closed the library door behind her and she headed towards the room. Sitting down in her designated chair, she signaled the opposing chair, waiting for her to sit down and start this tedious conversation.

"I'm Aria Song, and I'm the owner of this flat, I'm curious, what interested you in the advertisement?"
Aria Song
Aria Song
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhian Kael Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:53 pm

Rhian was taken aback by the cheerfulness that the woman showed. She groaned inwardly, wondering if that was her usual state. While she had nothing against being happy, too much made her want to strangle the closest breathing being with her bare hands. But she needed this flat. It honestly wasn't that far from Diagon Alley, which was a plus, and it looked like it was in a nice neighborhood. So, hoping it would help, she tried at a smile, small though she knew it was.

"Thank you, Miss." She nodded her head the smallest fraction, showing due respect. This wasn't her flat yet, after all. As the woman lead her down the hall, she caught a glimpse of the room who's door she closed. It was a library! Rhian's smiled widened a little at the idea of having a library. While she'd had one at her childhood home, she now had to contend with storing her books in a bag with an extension charm. While it meant they were always with her, it was wonderful being able to physically be around and smell the old books.

She took to proffered, setting her bag off to the side. At Aria's question, she straightened her back as she had always been taught when in a formal situation. "I'm actually quite new to London, having moved here with my little sister a few months back, to live with our uncle. Both he and I thought it best if I found a place to live closer to wizarding London, in the hopes that I would find a job nearby." Those were the facts.
Rhian Kael
Rhian Kael
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Aria Song Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:29 pm

Aria's smile dimmed as she heard her response. She wrinkled her nose at the thought of how this woman would even be able to afford her half of the flat. She mumbled something and wrote it down, not really wanting to be her cold self. This woman wasn't much of a talker though, so it was definitely a plus.

She crossed her leg and tapped her foot as she wrote down what needed to be said. Biting the end of the pen she wondered if this was detrimental, but before she could overthink it, she immediately said.

"How can you afford to pay if you are unemployed?"

Trying to compose herself she leaned back on the chair she looked at her directly at her.

" And what sort of career were you thinking of getting?"

She needed to know what was she getting into, whether it be a loud profession, a stupid one, or one that would be convenient to her.
Aria Song
Aria Song
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhian Kael Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Rhian knew that question was coming. A person would be stupid not to ask that question, especially when they'd just met. But like her previous answer, she believed in being honest, so long as it served her purposes.

"My parents recently passed and I've inherited a great amount of wealth through them. I don't believe in squandering it, but using it to pay for my own place, so to speak, is a reasonable choice, I feel. At least while I look for employment."

She didn't want to use too much of it up, since it was to be shared between her and Elena, but some things were important. Like independence and making ones way.

"As for a particular job? I'm actually hoping to find something that speaks to me. I'm actually new to most of this wizarding world. Long story." Her mind flitted back to the library in the other room. "I actually enjoy writing, so that may be a start."
Rhian Kael
Rhian Kael
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Aria Song Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:34 pm

Aria wrote that down and nodded trying to understand. For her she wondered if she would feel the same if her parents passed away. She highly doubted it; sentiment was not really her strong point. Scribbling it down, she knew that there was one positive thing about this: she could afford it.

"Interesting."

It was a bit hypocritical considering she didn't really find a reason to get a job. A freelance worker for her father was good enough for her, after all there was no real commitment. Her eyes brightened and her facade began to fade away a bit as she realized that they had a bit more in common than necessary.

"Fascinating, I quite agree, looking for something that is fitting is more important than just getting a job."

She bit her pen before placing it down on the table, knowing it was a bad habit of herself.

"I realize that you said that you are new to the magical world. I assumed considering that you knocked on my door rather than flooing in considering you did have the address. Anyways, do you at least feel comfortable enough to be surrounded by potions and magic? After all I tend to do....experiments"

She was glad that none of her potions were currently smelling horridly, or exploding, that already lost her two possible tenants.
Aria Song
Aria Song
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhian Kael Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Rhian's eyebrows raised slightly at Aria's assessment. She wondered what was so interesting about her situation. Inwardly she shrugged, setting the thought aside for later. At least she seemed assured of Rhian's ability to hold up her half of the situation.

She smiled at Aria's acceptance of her viewpoint on job hunting. She nodded in agreement, hoping that she would be successful in that. As much as she wanted to find something that she enjoyed, she wondered how long it would take for her to give in and settle for something mundane. She hoped that wouldn't happen, though with Aria as her roommate, she doubted mundane was in her future. Especially after her mention of experiments.

Shifting in her seat, her smile faded a little. "I'm actually not new to magic at all. It's this community of witches and wizards that is new to me. I was raised is...well, seclusion. My sister an I were raised with magic, but never integrated into the lives of other magic folk." Saying it out loud, she knew it sounded rather strange.

"It's another reason I wanted to get away from my uncle. Apparently the rest of my family wasn't in agreement with that choice, and it makes for awkward dinners." She smirked at the image of Vance trying to make idle conversation. It was almost impossible since Elena and her had no idea what he was talking about most of the time.
Rhian Kael
Rhian Kael
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Aria Song Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:50 pm

Aria stopped writing on her pen as she realized how she was talking about her not being used to socializing with witches and wizards. The mention of seclusion made her remember how it was when she was a child. At how she was forced to socialize but she wasn't good at it. She took a deep breath trying to ignore those embittering feelings.

"I see..." she murmured not really wanting to talk more about it.

Putting the clipboard to the side, she looked up at her, with a surprise respect. Escape, from someone who had complete control in their lives, if that wasn't the equivalent to her "Ice Man" then no one will.

"I see, well I have a few other questions...what are your opinions on experiments, do you mind them. For you see I have a few.....quirks..so I've been told, just wondering what are your thoughts."
Aria Song
Aria Song
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhian Kael Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Rhian bit her lip, noticing Aria's reaction. She was curious as to what could have caused it, but thought better of asking outright. She'd been taught that it was impolite to pry, and had been encountering that lately with her uncle. He apparently didn't like all the questions about his strange little home.

She couldn't help the small smile that crept up her face, nor the brightness in her eyes. She had always hungered for knowledge of all kinds, and experiments seemed to go hand in hand with that.

"I'd most likely ask to assist you." She knew it was bold to assume she would be allowed, but she could wonder.
Rhian Kael
Rhian Kael
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Aria Song Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Aria raised her brow at the comment. Who was Rhian to think that she'd be good enough to help her? She had to admit that the confidence did amuse her, and not only that, forced her to feel some reluctant respect for the woman.

"What are you backgrounds when it comes to potions?" she asked curiously. "Since I presume you weren't educated in Hogwarts from what you said before."

Aria Song
Aria Song
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhian Kael Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:07 pm

Rhian felt as if she was interviewing for a job, instead of for a living space. And with her last comment, she felt as if the job was slipping away from her.

"I meant no assumption that I am extremely qualified. While I was home taught, my father put a large emphasis on potions. We worked more organically with our magic." Not sure how to describe her upbringing. It was focused a lot on integrating her magic with her being. She was surprised to see how dependent most witches and wizards were on their wands.

"If you would prefer to work alone, I would not mind it at all," she tried to return to the topic. "I just thought it might be nice to have another pair of hands to assist. I never want to turn down an opportunity to learn. Especially, as you have pointed out, I never attended a school."

While some people may take offense to a comment like that, Rhian was only more curious about how her education would have been different.
Rhian Kael
Rhian Kael
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Aria Song Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:15 pm

Aria hummed as she mulled over what she was told. The idea of seeing a new perspective when it came to potions did intrigue her, after all she was only used to normal Hogwarts schooled individuals.

"I see...well I admit that your perspective on magic and potion-making does intrigue me. I wouldn't mind another pair of eyes, so long as they are competent."

She would hate to mess up a potion and her father hearing about it, if he did, she'd be screwed at how incompetent she'd look in his eyes. She wondered if she could be perfectly honest, her real self was coming out despite how she tried to hide it.

"I will tell you something Ms. Kael, I do not like people...I'm not the most social person in the world" she muttered annoyed. "So I will ask that when you move in, you'd respect that about me. I'd like a notice, simply so I can avoid any sort of situation that involves interacting with others. I'm not....the most....charming person when it comes to strangers"

Those last words left a bitter taste in her mouth, one that she didn't really enjoy admitting.

"Other than that, I do not see why we cannot be flatmates"
Aria Song
Aria Song
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhian Kael Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:13 pm

Something within Rhian relaxed as Aria seemed to accept the idea of having her assist. It wasn't so much that she wanted to work with potions, but that she wanted something to do other than job hunt. She didn't really know anyone in town, and needed to keep busy.

"Rhian, please." She felt her heart warming to this woman, whom she felt more in common than anyone she'd met in this country. Her gaze softened. "I guess we can be non-social together, then."

Whether it was her upbringing, or her own personality, Rhian had always been reserved. The only person she'd ever opened up to was Elena, but she was just a child.

As Aria finally agreed to the arrangement, she couldn't help but smile brightly. "Sounds wonderful."
Rhian Kael
Rhian Kael
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum