Flames of Hogwarts, Ice of Durmstrang
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cutting through the Gloom (Xander and Tess)

2 posters

Go down

Cutting through the Gloom (Xander and Tess) Empty Cutting through the Gloom (Xander and Tess)

Post by Xander Clarke Fri May 04, 2012 11:34 am

After some musing in Transfiguration class, Xander decided a bit of physical activity may be the best thing he needed to get rid of this funk he was in. He had gleaned from other students' conversations that he actually wasn't too bad off, compared to some. But it was hard seeing the light through all the darkness around him.

Seeing that no one was here at the moment, he walked over to the sword rack. His first year in Dueling, he had been given a regular short sword. While he took the opportunity to learn the new weapon, Xander preferred his rapier. Finding a nice enough one, though a little banged up, he walked to the center of the room.

A few experimental swings let him feel the balance of the hilt an blade. It was a little heavy in the hilt, but he could live with it. He was happy to find a practice dummy off in a corner. It was made of wood and he was thankful. He started swinging and let his mind drift off as the wood splintered off.

Xander Clarke
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Cutting through the Gloom (Xander and Tess) Empty Re: Cutting through the Gloom (Xander and Tess)

Post by Tess McCartney Fri May 04, 2012 12:57 pm

Tess was walking up towards the fifth floor. She had been told by the Headmistress that it was a good room for her to train. Her apprenticeship had made her want to learn and be more aggressive. She now carried the rapier with her, brand new and shiny just as she had been given by Headmistress Briony.

The Weapons room was something that was brand new to her, and as she opened the door, she noticed someone was there.

"Drat" she murmured.

Walking quietly, she noticed that it was someone she knew. She bit her bottom lip and leaned against the wall as Xander seemed to be releasing anger.

"Nice hit" she said softly.

Tess McCartney
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Cutting through the Gloom (Xander and Tess) Empty Re: Cutting through the Gloom (Xander and Tess)

Post by Xander Clarke Sat May 12, 2012 3:22 pm

Xander let the momentum move through his blade and buried it in the wooden dummy's head before he heard someone behind him. With the adrenaline pumping in his veins he pulled out his wand and turned on the person.

His heart almost stopped when he saw the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. Tess with a finely crafted rapier. He couldn't help but smirk at the sight of her biting her lip. He loved when she did that. He could almost here the gears working in her mind.

Knowing he must look like hell, Xander put away his wand. "Hey there. Come to cool off, too?"

Xander Clarke
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tess McCartney Sun May 13, 2012 5:07 am

Tess fought herself to bite back the surprise that he gave her as he pointed his wand towards her. She raised her brow and walked towards him observing him. He looked disheveled and tired, and...he repressed a lot of anger. She hadn't seen him in a while, ever since the ball and she felt like a terrible frie-girlfriend, she corrected herself.

"Yes, but not as much cooling off as you need I see" she said.

She lowered her bag and stretched softly observing the dummy.

"Impressive" she commented as she saw the dummy's condition.

Tess McCartney
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xander Clarke Wed May 16, 2012 3:17 pm

Xander blushed a little at Tess's observation of his anger issues. He ran his hand through his sweaty hair, trying to tame it.

"Yeah. Old habits die hard." He had often used sword practice as a way to release his feelings in the past. Whether they be hatred, fear, love, or just pent up energy. It was familiar.

He was glad to hear she found it impressive. He never had classes with her anymore, so never felt like he could really show off for her. Though he was glad in a way, because he hated those guys that acted different in front of their girlfriends just to impress them. He was glad just being himself was enough for Tess. "Thanks."

He walked in close enough to catch her hand and give her a small kiss on the cheek. "When did you learn to sword fight?"

Xander Clarke
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tess McCartney Wed May 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Tess understood about his old habits, at least in some way. It was a way of releasing emotions, she wished for her it was as strong as his outlet, but for her it was tears. She cried in anger, she cried in sadness and cried in happiness.

Her eyes fluttered shut and a blush began to spread as he kissed her cheek softly. She had been a bit distracted when he said his question and as she processed it, she blinked a few times to refocus herself.

"Oh! The Headmistress is one of my mentors" she "I am under her apprenticeship."

She wondered if it changed his perspective of her, she hoped it didn't considering she was still learning and not as aggressive as he was with a rapier.

Tess McCartney
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xander Clarke Sat May 19, 2012 11:17 am

Xander was happy to hear Tess was interested in swordfighting. If she was an apprentice, she probably wasn't very advanced though. Deciding not to embarrass her, her grabbed a rag from his bag and some oil to clean the blade.

Finding a bench off to the side, he started working on the blade. "What have you done so far as her apprentice?" He couldn't imagine what it would be like working closely with the Headmistress.

He patted the spot next to him hoping she would join him. He was happy to have some alone time with Tess.

Xander Clarke
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tess McCartney Sun May 20, 2012 10:39 am

Seeing him pat the bench she walked over and sat down beside him, admiring how much he cared for the sword. Hearing his question she began to explain to him as much as she could.

"As you can guess, swordsmanship is new to me. I have previous experience in archery, gymnastics, and dance, so so far, the Headmistress has begun to work my specialties with weapons. Apparently I'm gifted when it comes to the rapier, I'm not as aggressive as someone" she said nudging him softly "but she said I have a lot of potential"

Usually she would feel uncomfortable telling someone that she was good at something but, she wanted to show him she was more than just a flushed expression and a hot-temperament. She could stand on her own.

"How long have you been working your swordsmanship?" she asked.

Tess McCartney
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xander Clarke Mon May 21, 2012 8:31 am

Xander was surprised to hear that the Headmistress was honing skills so...muggle. Not that he opposed. Quite the contrary. In a battle with a witch or wizard, it's something they wouldn't expect.

It was one reason his father had forced him to learn. "My dad's kind of an enthusiast. One of his better qualities," he smirked.

"He put a sword in my hand as soon as he could. My first was only about two feet long, but it was sturdy, which was what I needed. I actually still have it back at home." He'd never been able to part with it. Just like his book collection, it was one of the things that defined him. Something that he could call his own.

Xander had tried to teach Luke a little this summer. That had been...interesting. Speaking of... "Have you seen Victoria lately? I really haven't and I can imagine Luke hasn't either."

Xander Clarke
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tess McCartney Mon May 21, 2012 11:01 am

Xander rarely really opened up about his family, but when he did Tess would find herself to be hooked on whatever he said. She realized that while they'd know each other's parents, they never really spoke about them, rather it never got too close to invade each other's privacy. Nor push and open yourself up so much that there'd be no secrets.

So as he spoke about his first weapon, and how it came from his father, it made her find it all the more endearing.

"That's so sweet" she murmured placing a hand over his. "I can never let go of my first dance shoes."

When the conversation turned to Victoria, she didn't know how to respond. She trusted him, but she didn't know whether to tell him about Victoria and how she'd changed. She debated it in her head, but began to simply be a bit vague.

"Oh she's fine, her vacation lasted a bit longer than expected so she missed the first two lessons. You couldn't have believed how...scared I was."

Tess McCartney
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xander Clarke Mon May 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Xander laughed at how protective Tess was of her friend. Linking his fingers with her, he said, "She's lucky to have you."

He was always surprised at how fiercely loyal they were to each other. A Slytherin and a Gryffindor. The divisions between the students weren't as evident as his parents said they used to be, but it was still surprising to see such a bond.

Happy to be in a place where they could open up to each other, Xander smiled at her. "What kind of dancing do you do?" He wasn't overly familiar with the art form, but felt aware enough to know the differences.

Xander Clarke
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tess McCartney Mon May 21, 2012 6:35 pm

Tess immediately looked at their hands and squeezed his hand in return, enjoying the small interaction between the pair.

"We're both lucky"

At the mention of dance, she smiled brightly.

"Well I started as a ballerina, then moved to waltz, and now I'm well versed in many forms of dance. If you would've let me dance at the party I would've shown you" she teased nudging his side "But you had to pull me out didn't you"

Tess McCartney
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down