Flames of Hogwarts, Ice of Durmstrang
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potions: First Years, Lesson 2

4 posters

Go down

Potions: First Years, Lesson 2 Empty Potions: First Years, Lesson 2

Post by Angel Valentine Wed May 02, 2012 5:17 am

Angel currently was dealing with a headache, and she figured that if students behaved today she could end the class quickly. The only thing she was grateful for was that she had a syllabus from first year.

Walking towards the front of the class, she waited for the students to come and waited to ignore the migraine that she had.

Angel Valentine
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Potions: First Years, Lesson 2 Empty Re: Potions: First Years, Lesson 2

Post by Ariana Jenkins Wed May 02, 2012 6:09 am

Lunete walk to class and she seat down she await class to start that is. She wait for class to start and such things.

Ariana Jenkins
Verstand Fifth Year

Back to top Go down

Post by IolaAvalon Wed May 02, 2012 7:23 am

Iola skipped into the classroom feeling excited, she loved Potions so was looking forward to learning something new about them.

IolaAvalon
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlyGrass Wed May 02, 2012 5:30 pm

Carly made her way into the dungeons, she was a bit nervous about this class not knowing what to expect. She chose a desk towards the middle and waited for class to start.

CarlyGrass
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel Valentine Thu May 03, 2012 6:56 am

Seeing her students arrived she realized that there was a big change between students this year. Some were excited, others it seemed were nervous wrecks and she stood there with a smirk observing them.

"Welcome first years. My name is Professor Angel Valentine, that's Professor Valentine to you and I am your Potions Mistress. I am sorry that last lesson was useless, but I was waiting for other of your pupils to see if they would arrive. Believe me when I say that is a rare thing I do. Might as well go over the rules."

She waved her hand and the rules appeared in her classroom.

First Rule: While I appreciate your attempt to have input, please raise your hand before answering a question, that way I can give points towards your house.

Second rule: Please do all the work I have assigned, if you don't, it will not only affect your grade, but if I see that you are showing no effort you will not pass my class.

Third Rule: I do not want any arguments in my class room, I don't care if you think I have favorites, I do not care what you think of me, but I do care about your actions towards other students!

Fourth Rule: Please be careful with Potions please! Potions class can be dangerous if you do not know enough about it. Trust me please, I will not be liable for your ignorance any more.

Fifth Rule: Attendance is mandatory, if you fail to miss a lesson you not only miss assignments but points for your overall grade as well.

Sixth Rule: Pay close attention to the ingredients, I do not want to send you to the Hospital Wing.

"Now, I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses....but I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death."

Her eyes glittered with mirth and added in a lighter tone as if it never happened.

"That is, should you all have your textbook,One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi"

Walking towards her desk and picked up the book and showed them.

"We always start with basic potions now please take out your textbooks. And while I was going to teach you this the last lesson, I will integrate both if time allows."

"I will quickly be introducing to you all the things we use when creating a potion."

She took out the objects and began to explain them.

"Silver or pewter Cauldron, where the potions will be brewed, glass or crystal phials to hold the liquids,
a silver knife for cutting ingredients, mortar and pestle to grind ingredients, scales to weigh the amount of ingredients, and a wand." she said.

Putting her things to the side she cleared the board and the potion was written on it.

"Today we will be working on the Boil Cure"

Boil Cure

The Cure for Boils (also known as simply Boil Cure) is a potion which cures boils. Here are the brewing ingredients:

-Dried nettles
-6 snake fangs
-4 horned slugs
-2 porcupine quills

Brewing Instructions

1) Add 6 Snake Fangs to the mortar.

2) Crush into a fine powder using the pestle.

3) Add 4 measures of the crushed fangs to your cauldron.

4)Heat the mixture to 250 for 10 seconds.

5) Wave your wand.

6)Leave to brew and return in 45 minutes.

7) Add 4 horned slugs to your cauldron.

8)Take the cauldron off the fire before adding the next ingredient.

9) Add 2 Porcupine Quills to your cauldron.

10) Stir 5 times, clockwise.

11) Wave your wand to complete the potion.

"If you have any questions simply raise your hand and I will come over. Good luck, time begins now"

Angel Valentine
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlyGrass Thu May 03, 2012 8:11 am

Carly grinned, she figured she could live with the rules, and she absolutely loved practical work. Sure the 'cure for boils' didnt sound like the most glamorous potion ever, but it was a start.

Carly collected all of her ingredients and set to work, sure she may have been a bit eager when crushing the snake fangs, but she could clean it up later. Carly heated the couldron, possible for a bit longer tham she should have, waved her wand, and sat down to wait for the 45 minutes the potion took to brew.

CarlyGrass
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IolaAvalon Thu May 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Iola smirked a little to herself, she'd made this potion before at home so was knew that she could do it. After gathering her ingredients she settled down to prepare them, being careful to not lose any part of them, while her cauldron was heating up. Once both ingredients and cauldron were ready, she carefully added the fangs and heated her cauldron to the correct temperature for the required time. When she picked up her wand and waved it, the magic in it felt eager, as if it wanted to help. For the 45 minutes before she added the slugs, Iola studied her textbook, making notes next to the ingredients of any Elven equivalents that she knew of.

IolaAvalon
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariana Jenkins Fri May 04, 2012 1:27 pm

First thing she did before she did anything she start to write out the potion were doing. She was taking notes that was long list of stuff first she written out title. Boil CureThe Cure for Boils (also known as simply Boil Cure) is a potion which cures boils. Here are the brewing ingredients:-Dried nettles
-6 snake fangs-4 horned slugs -2 porcupine quillsBrewing Instructions
1) Add 6 Snake Fangs to the mortar.

2) Crush into a fine powder using the pestle.

3) Add 4 measures of the crushed fangs to your cauldron.

4)Heat the mixture to 250 for 10 seconds.

5) Wave your wand.

6)Leave to brew and return in 45 minutes.

7) Add 4 horned slugs to your cauldron.

8)Take the cauldron off the fire before adding the next ingredient.

9) Add 2 Porcupine Quills to your cauldron.

10) Stir 5 times, clockwise.

11) Wave your wand to complete the potion.

Then she wrote all down she could not help herself so in case they have test that she would have it for notes and such things. She them start to add six snakefang and then she went add four crush snake fangs. Then she heat up the mixture she wait a while then she wave her wand.Then she left it to brew a bit and such things. She grab hold of the slugs and then she add caudron. Then she took the fire off the cauldron and then she look down at the notebook she had taken notes. She took hold of porcupine quills she add two.Then she start to stir the potion within the cauldron and she then do it the other way which clockwise. Then she wave her wand as she follow the direction she wonder if she did it right all the same of she wait awhile she look down at the liquid and she wonder what finish potion would look liked what color would it be.She raise her hand up she just had one question.She hope she would call her waiting for her call on her.

Ariana Jenkins
Verstand Fifth Year

Back to top Go down

Post by IolaAvalon Mon May 07, 2012 8:44 am

When the 45 minutes required had passed, Iola put down her notes and added the slugs. She then followed the rest of the steps carefully and smiled in satisfaction when her potion turned the right colour. She bottled her potion and raised her hand to alert the teacher that she had finished.

IolaAvalon
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlyGrass Mon May 07, 2012 6:28 pm

After writing the instructions down in her notes, Cary realised she had to start adding the lugs now. When she had done that, she carefully took the potion off the fire, being sure not to spill any, then added the porcupine quills. Then counting to five under her breath for each stir of the couldron, she waved her wand and was happy to see the potion turn the colour described in her book.

Looking around the classroom she saw that another girl, who looked a bit elvish, was also finished, and so she waited to see what the professor wanted them to do now.

CarlyGrass
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down